If you are fond of making cannabis edibles, you might have already encountered weed brownies or cupcakes. Others might want to go for a sweeter approach and infuse cannabis with candies. Many are also enticed to make weed gummy bears instead because of its simplicity. In learning how to make weed gummies, all you need is a few ingredients and your favorite stash of weed. In this article, learn more about how to make weed gummies with a few simple ingredients and make sure that you have a great time getting high.
How To Make Weed Gummies
Before we start making weed gummies, we need to understand first the concept of decarboxylation when it comes to weed. Some might have already know what this process means, but when it comes to cooking with weed or mixing weed with heat, understanding the process of decarboxylation is key to maintaining the potency of the strain that you are about to use.
Decarboxylation is the procedure done by incorporating heat to activate the compounds in cannabis known as cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are acidic in nature; hence they need to be broken down through the use of heat. Once exposed to heat, they are in their active form and are ready to be consumed. The body can absorb these cannabinoids, which are the main reason why you get high in the first place. The use of heat must be deliberate and should always be under moderation. Too much heat can cause the cannabis to lose all the important compounds, and you end up having low-quality weed gummies.
Now that we have a full understanding of decarboxylation, we can now move to make your weed gummies. We are going to need the following items:
- Pot or saucepan
- Unflavored jello or gelatine
- Soy lecithin
- Gummy bear mold
- Butter or oil
- Your favorite strain of cannabis
It is highly advised that you choose potent cannabis of your choice that has lots of aroma and flavor. This way, you can still taste and smell the innate flavors of the cannabis that you have chosen to infuse your gummies with. Preparing cannabis means that it has to undergo decarboxylation. Crush or grind your cannabis and place them in a baking tray. Bake your cannabis in an oven under 240 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to stay at this temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Fresh cannabis can be baked for a good 20 to 30 minutes. Once that is read, set is aside and let it cool down. We are now ready to make our weed gummies.
- First, we need to make our cannabis-infused oil. Melt your oil or butter in the saucepan under very low heat. Stir regularly to avoid burning the butter or oil. Add your baked cannabis into the mixture until it is infused with the oil.
- Let it sit for an hour under low heat. Then, extract the oil and set the plant matter aside. Strain the oil using a cheesecloth, and do not forget to squeeze the rest of the plant matter to collect more oil from the mixture.
- Turn the stove under low heat and add water, the cannabis-infused oil, and soy lecithin to a pot. Stir this mixture until the oil and soy lecithin is fully mixed with the water. Make sure that it has fully melted first before doing the next step. If the water glistens as you mix, the oil has now been fully integrated.
- Add the unflavored jello into the mix and use the whisk to mix it thoroughly. Slowly honey, to add an extra layer of sweetness and flavor into your weed gummies. Continue whisking the mixture under low heat for the next 10 to 15 minutes. The gelatine should be dissolved at this point. Add the flavoring last or a few minutes before you turn off the heat. You can also use fruit juices to add an extra layer of flavor to your weed gummies.
- Turn off the heat once you get a thick consistency out of your mixture. This is the time when you should act quickly. Let the mixture sit for a while, but not long enough that it begins to solidify. Pour the mixture into the gummy bear mold slowly. If it begins to solidify, you can always whisk the mixture again. Tap the mold to release bubbles or air pockets, and you are set.
- Place the gummy bear mold in the refrigerator and freeze for 20 to 25 minutes. Place the gummies in a container and store it in a cool, dry, and dark place. Light will slowly degrade the cannabinoid content of your weed gummies, so make sure to store it on your refrigerator or your cupboard.
There are other ways to make weed gummies apart from using cannabis-infused oil or butter. You can also use cannabis tinctures and hash oil. With this method, you can fully incorporate the weed and its potency into your weed gummies. There are hundreds of cannabis extracts available in the market today that you can use to infuse to your weed gummies.
Weed gummies and other edibles are great if you know your tolerance with weed. However, if you don’t know your tolerance, you might want to start slow with eating edibles and weed gummies as they can cause some uncomfortable effects. Consume weed gummies one at a time and see how it would affect you and start from there. As soon as you can feel the effects, you can then gauge the measurement of your ingredients and see where you can take it from there.
Learning how to make weed gummies is a fun and creative way to experience getting high with cannabis. Weed gummies can last up to 2 months when stored in the refrigerator and can even go up to a year if they are stored in the freezer. But, it is surprising if it would last that long considering how delicious and tasty these sweet snacks can be.