With over several hundred different strains of cannabis, there are also equally the same amount of ways to enjoy weed. Cannabis is a mind-altering drug that is both used in recreational and medicinal communities. Cannabis possesses a very versatile substance known as THC, which can be infused in many different products. For many years, cannabis has only been consumed through smoking, but lately, different methods of getting high have been popping up. One very good example is weed butter. In this article, we will learn how to make weed butter, how much is needed for your body, and what are its health benefits.
How to Make Weed Butter
Weed butter is a delicious treat for those who want to try something new when it comes to consuming weed. Butter offers a very tasty texture to the usual herbal taste of weed. Butter is also a good carrier of the natural substances found in weed that will make you high. While fat is the key component to making weed butter successful, it is also the kind of weed you mixed it with that makes it very special.
Using a high-quality strain of cannabis will make or break your weed butter. Always be on the lookout for high-quality weed by making sure they are fresh and free from molds. Check out your stash of weed and see if they still smell fresh. Make sure that there are no seeds or any other plant material being mixed in as you will have difficulties later on in making your weed butter.
Another thing to note about how to make weed butter is knowing the process of decarboxylation. For the natural properties of weed to get you high, it needs to be activated. The process of activation involves the use of mild to low heat called decarboxylation. This process makes the cannabinoids or the natural substances to be readily absorbed by the body, making you high.
To make your weed butter, you will need to gather a cup of butter, a cup of water, and a cup of your chosen cannabis. Do note that homemade edibles are different from the ones sold in stores as these items are rarely measured for potency. This is also the reason why you need to make sure that you are working with a familiar strain of cannabis so you would know what to expect.
- In making weed butter, you will need to grind your cannabis into finer pieces first. This will make the decarboxylation process and making your weed butter easier and more convenient. Make sure that they are not ground into dust.
- This next step is the most essential part of making weed butter. Preheat the oven for at least 245 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your ground cannabis into a baking tray and cover the tray with parchment paper.
- Bake for the next 30 to 40 minutes. If you used older and drier cannabis, you might reduce the time to around 20 minutes as the buds are already dried. Make sure to mix the buds lightly every 10 minutes, so they bake on equal sides.
- Once done, take out the baked cannabis and ground it further with your hands. You will notice that they easily break up into smaller pieces this time. This should be your sign that the cannabis is ready for the next step.
- Melt the butter into a saucepan using low heat. Add the cup of water as soon as the butter starts to melt. Carefully monitor the heat of the saucepan and bring it up to a simmer. Always remember to never bring the mixture into a boil. The water helps you control the temperature of the butter, which prevents it from burning.
- As soon as the butter mixture starts to simmer, add the ground cannabis and stir continuously upon doing so. Always maintain the low temperature and let it simmer for the next 2 to 3 hours. Keep on checking your mixture and always avoid boiling it. Boiling or exposing cannabis too high temperatures will only deteriorate its properties; thus, it might not be effective in getting you high.
- Strain the cannabis-butter mixture with the help of the cheesecloth. This will remove all the plant material from the butter and filter out all the other residue from the mixture. Squeeze the remaining substance from the cheesecloth, but make sure that the mixture has fully cooled down before doing so.
- Refrigerate the weed butter mixture, so it becomes a solid butter. If you can see water at the bottom of the container, you can remove the solidified butter using a knife and take out the water and place it in the refrigerator again. Once it fully solidifies, you are ready to go.
- You should be able to see a bit of greenish discoloration with your butter. Don’t worry about it, as it is just the cannabis solution. Always remember to use fresh cannabis and keep in mind to use smaller portions of cannabis at first and then see if they are potent enough for your taste and level.
- Increase or decrease your dose as desired once you have tested the type and amount of cannabis that was being used.
Benefits of Using Weed Butter
When it comes to using weed, we always think of getting high, but there are far more important and significant health benefits to using weed butter as an alternative to smoking weed. Weed butter is rich in antioxidants, thanks to cannabis. Our body relies heavily on antioxidants to boost our immune system and help keep us stress-free.
Weed butter is rich in vitamins and minerals. Vitamins such as Vitamin K and C are great for blood clotting and boosting our immune system. Minerals such as iron, calcium, and folate are great for bones, blood production, and oxygenation, as well as tissue repair. The health benefits of using weed butter cannot be overlooked at this point.
Lastly, weed butter is a great alternative to smoking weed. Those who are not fond of smoking due to the harshness of the smoke will have a better experience when using weed butter. Weed butter can be used in many different dishes. You can easily incorporate weed butter to your favorite desserts or main dish for lunch or dinner and get high in no time.
The use of marijuana in cooking has almost zero side effects. However, learning how to make weed butter still needs skill as its potency and effects are very different from smoking weed. The use of edibles such as weed butter takes time to take effect, and the potency can be very difficult to determine. This is why it is always best to start with low amounts of cannabis first and see if it works for you. If not, you can always add more the next time you want to make your weed butter.