Protecting your cannabis plant with a homemade spider mite spray is vital if you plan to harvest great marijuana crops. Marijuana being so adorable and delightful, cannot resist being noticed by all other creatures besides humans who smoke them. During the growing period of cannabis plants, whether indoors or outdoors, avoiding being invaded by insects like spider mites on plants is impossible. Using homemade spider mite spray is a game changer, so you can prepare for the infestation anytime you see signs of it in your beloved marijuana plants.
The aroma of cannabis is undeniably appealing and attractive to everyone, including pests who feed on its precious buds that contain the well-loved resin. Growers are thus bothered about how to avoid such cases where an immediate solution is required.
Killing spider mites on plants is essential in effectively caring for your crops. Otherwise, they might cause the destruction of your entire harvest for the season. To help you in your future weed-growing endeavor here is some vital information about spider mites, a common insect invading cannabis, and how to get rid of spider mites with a homemade spider mite spray for you to counter them.
What are Spider Mites?
Spider mites on plants are small but terrible creatures based on the damage they cause to plants. They appear red, yellow, or green, which will eat your plants’ buds. Instead of insects, they are considered “arachnids” or those that include ticks, scorpions, and spiders.
Adult spiders are characterized by brown-reddish color or sometimes pale and oval. It’s tiny, so it’s hard to notice. Underneath the leaves of your weeds lies their colonies containing thousands of spider mites. They leave a mark of light-colored dots, causing the leaves to turn yellow and dull.
Spider mites on plants will suck and tear leaves apart to get their chlorophyll. They usually survive and live in dry conditions like indoors. Because they are like spiders, these creatures spread through the area through webs that are not visible through ordinary eyes.
Infestation Signs of Spider Mites on Plants
Spider mite invasion shows off some undeniable signs. These, however, can only be observed through careful examination and monitoring. They include the following:
- Sun burning and lower yield
- Small brown, dry spots under the leaves
- Webbing on the leaves where eggs of spider mites are laid
- Attack on the pods of beans and food crops
Types of Spider Mites on Plants
The different types of spider mites vary based on their manner of feeding patterns. To identify the type of insect that infests your crops, here are some of them and their specific traits.
- Clover mites – they eat grass but cannot harm or bite humans and animals.
- Velvet mites – people are safe from these pests
- Spider mites – eat plants but do not bite humans
- Bird and rodent mites – causes harm to people by bringing diseases.
How to get rid of Spider Mites with Homemade Spray?
Each type of mite, specifically spider mites, seems harmful to all crops. Preparing your spider mite spray at home will undoubtedly be a good help. To help you make your pesticide, here are some effective homemade spider mite sprays you can make and the guides you can follow to make them and avoid severe damage to your crops.
- Insecticidal Soap Spray – the easiest spray to make that effectively eliminates spider mites. It also helps to treat the spots that they left in your crops. This spray causes suffocation among spider mites.
- Ingredients: mild dish soap, water, jug, spray bottle
Step 1 – combine a teaspoon of dish soap with water that’s 4 cups, based on how much spray you need.
Step 2 – Transfer the mixture to the spray bottle that you’ve prepared.
Step 3 – apply the spray directly onto the affected areas of infestation and leave for two to three hours.
Step 4 – wipe the soap away from the leaves and do it routinely once every week until the pests are gone totally.
- Neem Oil – a simple and effective spray for killing all kinds of cannabis pests and helping crops recover fast.
- Ingredients: water, neem oil, spray bottle.
Just apply this spray onto the leaves of your crops through a spray. This oil also contains many essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and lemon.
- Garlic Spray – natural and effective spider mite treatment. The ingredients in this recipe are all available in your house and kitchen.
- Ingredients: water, garlic clove, a container with a lid, blender, whisk, filter, and spray bottle
Step 1: Mix two cups of water with an entire garlic clove.
Step 2: Remove the mixture from the blender and use your hands to mix the two ingredients. Continue until it’s smooth in texture.
Step 3: Put the mixture into the container and then put it on the lid. Store the spray for 24 hours.
Step 4: Once cooled, strain the mixture using a strainer and pour more water to dilute the mixture further.
Step 5: Put the mixture into the spray bottle and get ready to use it. For better results, spread some insecticidal soap onto the leaves of your crops before putting garlic spray.
- Rosemary Oil – Rosemary is potent in spider mite treatment because it instantly affects the nervous system of the spider mites on plants. This homemade spider mite spray can prevent and cure spider mites.
- Ingredients: Rosemary oil, peppermint, thyme, water, spray bottle, clove
Step 7: Combine the rosemary oil, water, peppermint, clove, and thyme to create a mixture.
Step 8homemade spider mite spray: Transfer the mixture to the spray bottle. Apply the spray on your crops for a natural remedy against spider mite infestation.
Other Ways How to get rid of Spider Mites
Aside from using that homemade spider mite spray, you can also try other alternatives that are easy to find and use. Some of them are the following.
- Put plenty but only a little water into your crops. Since spider mites often live in warm, dry areas, it might turn them off if your crops are constantly moist. Use your garden hose to maintain this condition among your crops and keep it healthy or clean.
- Predatory mites can be placed in your grow area to guard your crops against spider mites. They are the natural predators that kill and eat spider mites called Phytoseiulius Persimilis. Individually, they can eat a maximum of five spider mites daily, which is an excellent help for your crops’ protection. They can eat whatever kind of mites you have in your garden. However, this method and creatures are only applicable for outdoor growing.
Growing cannabis can be both a rewarding and challenging task to fulfill. But, a proper cannabis lover would never really mind doing whatever it takes to maintain the excellent condition of their crops. Pests like spider mites are unavoidable among plants like cannabis; finding a way for spider mite treatment and dealing with them is all part of cannabis cultivation. Knowing how to get rid of spider mites using homemade spider mite spray is vital for a successful harvest, so you won’t end up saying goodbye to your precious buds just like that. Using these homemade spider mite sprays and choosing a strong strain that can withstand infestations is the best way to achieve a successful harvest. These resilient strains are available right here at Crop King Seeds Canada. We have strong, and high-quality marijuana seed strains in our wide variety of cannabis seeds selection. Order now and also try these homemade spider mite sprays and see how healthier your crops will become.