Being so adorable and delightful, cannabis cannot resist being noticed by all other creatures aside from humans who smoke them. During the growing period of cannabis plants, whether it’s indoors or outdoors, avoiding to be invaded by insects like spider mites is impossible. Therefore, it is highly advised that growers learn how to make homemade spider mite spray. This way, they can prepare for the infestation anytime they see signs of it in their beloved marijuana plants.
The aroma of cannabis is undeniably appealing and attractive to everyone including pests who feed on its precious buds that contain the well-loved resin. Growers are thus bothered on how to avoid such cases where an immediate solution is required.
Killing spider mites and other pests are essential in effective caring for your crops. Otherwise, they might cause the destruction of your entire harvest for the season. To help you in your future weed growing endeavor, here is some important information about spider mites, a common insect invading cannabis, and how to prepare a spray against it.
What are Spider Mites?
Spider mites are small but terrible creatures based on the damage they cause on the plants. They appear red, yellow, or green which will eat your plants’ buds. Instead of insects, they are considered as “arachnids” or those that include ticks, scorpions, and spiders.
Adult spiders are characterized by brown-reddish color or sometimes pale and oval. It’s very small like a sharp pencil so it is really hard to notice. Underneath the leaves of your weeds, there lie their colonies which contain thousands of spider mites. They leave a mark of light-colored dots as a sign of their feeding marks, causing the leaves to turn yellow and dull in appearance.
Spider mites suck plants, tearing leaves apart to get its chlorophyll. They usually survive and live in dry conditions like indoors. Because they are like spiders, these creatures spread through the area through webs which are not visible through ordinary eyes.
Signs of Spider Mite Infestation
Spider mite invasion shows off some very obvious signs. These, however, can only be observed through careful examination and monitoring. They include the following:
- Sun burning and lower yield
- Small brown, dry spots under the leaves
- Webbing on the leaves where eggs of spider mites are laid
- Attack on the pods of beans and food crops
Types of Spider Mites
The different types of spider mite vary based on their manner of feeding pattern. To identify the type of insect that infests your crops, here are some of them and their specific traits.
- Clover mites – they eat grass but are not capable of harming or biting humans and animals.
- Velvet mites – people are safe from this pests
- Spider mites – eat plants but do not bite humans
- Bird and rodent mites – causes harm to people by bringing diseases.
How to Make Homemade Spider Mite Spray?
Each type of mite specifically spider mites seems harmful to all types of crops. Preparing your spider mite spray at home will certainly be a good help. To help you out in such a task of making your pesticide, here is a guide for you to follow and avoid serious damage to your crops.
- Insecticidal Soap Spray – the easiest spray to make that effectively eliminates spider mites. It also helps to treat the spots that they left in your crops. This spray causes suffocation among spider mites.
Ingredients: mild dish soap, water, jug, spray bottle
Step 1 – combine a teaspoon of dish soap with water that’s 4 cups based on how much spray you need.
Step 2 – Transfer the mixture into the spray bottle that you’ve prepared.
Step 3 – apply the spray directly onto the affected areas of infestation and leave for two to three hours.
Step 4 – wipe the soap away from the leaves and do it routinely once every week until the pests are gone totally.
- Neem Oil – simple and effective spray for killing all kinds of cannabis pests and help crops recover fast.
Ingredients: water, neem oil, spray bottle
Just apply this spray onto the leaves of your crops through a spray. This kind of oil also comes in many different essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and lemon oil.
- Garlic Spray – natural and effective that hits on spider mites directly. The ingredients in this recipe are all available in your house and kitchen.
Ingredients: water, garlic clove, a container with a lid, blender, whisk, strainer, spray bottle
Step 1: Mix two cups of water with an entire clove of garlic.
Step 2: Remove the mixture from the blender and use your hands to mix well the two ingredients. Continue until it’s smooth in texture.
Step 3: Put the mixture into the container and then put the lid. Store the spray for 24 hours.
Step 4: Once cooled, strain the mixture using a strainer and pour some more water to further dilute the mixture.
Step 5: Put the mixture into the spray bottle and get ready to use it. For better results, spread some insecticidal soap onto the leaves of your crops before putting garlic spray.
- Rosemary Oil – Rosemary is a very powerful element in attacking spider mites because they instantly make a great effect on their nervous system. Prevention and cure against spider mites are possible through this spray.
Ingredients: Rosemary oil, peppermint, thyme, water, spray bottle, clove
Step 1: Combine the rosemary oil, water, peppermint, clove, and thyme to create a mixture.
Step 2: Transfer the mixture onto the spray bottle. Apply the spray on your crops for a natural remedy against spider mite infestation.
Other Ways to Kills Spider Mites
Aside from using that homemade spray, you can also try other alternatives which are also easy to find and to use. Some of them are the following.
- Put plenty but not too much water into your crops. Since spider mites often live in warm, dry areas, it might turn them off if your crops are always moist. Use your garden hose to maintain this kind of condition among your crops and keep it healthy or clean.
- Predatory mites can be placed in your grow area to guard your crops against spider mites. They are the natural predators that kill and eat spider mites which are called Phytoseiulius persimilis. Individually, they can eat a maximum of five spider mites daily which is a great help for your crops’ protection. They can eat whatever kind of mites you have in your garden. However, this method and creatures are only applicable for outdoor growing.
Growing cannabis can be both a rewarding and challenging task to fulfill. But, for a true cannabis lover would never really mind doing whatever it takes to maintain the good condition of their crops. Pests like spider mites are unavoidable among plants like cannabis and finding a way to deal with them is all part of cannabis cultivation. For a successful harvest, knowing how to make homemade spider mite spray is vital so you won’t end up saying goodbye to your precious buds just like that. Try these recipes and see how healthier your crops will become.