Cannabis products are rapidly getting known not only among recreational and medical users but also in the community for a good reason. Until these days, medical experts and scientists are still started to reveal the healing properties of this incredible plant. Cannabis has a lot of benefits to offer when it comes to medicinal aspects because of its wonderful relieving effects, like what cannabis salve offers.
If you have a skin health condition such as eczema or psoriasis, or you are simply dealing with daily pain that causes by an inflammatory condition, maybe you are wondering if cannabis can work with such conditions.
What is Cannabis Salve?
Salve is a healing solution that is commonly applied directly to the skin and is used as a protective measure. You can also see salves that are classified as cream, balms, oils, topical, and ointment. A salve is made from different nourishing oils to help nourish skin, heal wounds, and helps to keep from further skin damage.
Cannabis salve, on the other hand, is made with cannabis flower, which includes different ingredients for nourishing the skin. It can be used with different topical ways to use as pain relief or helps to soothe burns, scraping, and either insect bites.
Health Benefits of Using Cannabis Salve
Cannabis salves have quickly become known because it has many health benefits to offer as the cannabis plant has already been used as medicinal relief for the past years until these days, no wonder why cannabis salve also has many medicinal effects to give. Cannabis salve is the ideal alternative to use for other cannabis products that contain harsh chemicals that lead to experience an undesirable effect.
Cannabis salve is considered a star for relieving many different ailments. It can provide immediate relief for pain, swelling, or soreness. Other people may think the cannabis intoxicating effects may happen once you applied cannabis salve on your skin, but these salves will not cause any high effects as its not enter your bloodstream.
Cannabis salve can be used to relieve different conditions, such as:
- Skin irritation
- Sore joints
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Muscle pain
- Irregular cell growth
- Minor injuries
Cannabis Salve Making Guide
Just like other cannabis products, you can also easily make your very own cannabis in comfort at your home. It can be a big advantage to make cannabis salve if you already experience to make cannabutter or oil as the process is quite similar in making cannabis salve.
But before you begin to make cannabis salve, you must first prepare the following:
- Dried ground cannabis (must need CBD-rich cannabis)
- 1/3 cup beeswax
- 1 ½ cups of coconut oil
- Baking tin
- Large-size jar
Before proceeding to make cannabis salve, you must first decarboxylate your cannabis.
- Heat the oven for about 116°C.
- Spread the ground cannabis evenly on a baking tin.
- Once you heat the oven, you may now bake your ground cannabis for about 20 to 30 minutes. (stir during the first 10 to 15 minutes)
- While you bake your ground cannabis in the oven, pour the coconut oil in a saucepan and stir it with low heat constantly.
- After you decarboxylate your cannabis, take it out from oven then combine it into coconut oil that you stir in a saucepan.
- Maintain the low heat setting and continue to stir the mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes. Using low heat will maintain the potency of cannabis salve, so avoid using too high heat while stirring.
- After 20 minutes of stirring, remove the cannabis oil mixture from the stove, filter it up using cheesecloth, and pour it into a jar.
- Using the same pan, place beeswax and let it melt using low heat. While boiling the beeswax, carefully add the cannabis oil on melting beeswax and stir it constantly.
- If you want to make your salve have an aromatic fragrance, you will add a few drops of essential oil with refreshing mint or tea tree oil.
- Continue to stir the mixture for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the beeswax and cannabis-infused oil from the heat.
- Place your cannabis salve into an appropriate canister and place it in a cool and dark area until it is ready to use.
How to Use Cannabis Salve
Before you apply cannabis salve, make sure that you know where the pain is coming from. It can be an obvious thing but what I suppose to say is do you have a headache, for example from your head or it starts from your neck.
It is also highly recommended to wash a certain area where you apply cannabis salve using soap and water. By having clean skin, the cannabis salve can better absorb effectively and can easily reach its target.
Here’s how to use cannabis salve:
- The ideal method to apply a cannabis salve is by smoothly massage it in the affected area.
- Once you applied it, allow the salve to immerse in your affected skin for about a few more minutes.
- After that, cover the applied area using a bandage to avoid rubbing off the cannabis salve.
- For first-timer, make sure to observe if there are any irritation, rash, and redness occurs. Wait for the effects as it can effects depends on the condition you want to heal.
- The effect may occur for about 1 to 48 hours, so you need to be patient.
What Certain Amount can Use to Apply on Skin?
Most cannabis salve users apply a generous amount of salve on their skin. Older people or even small kids have thinner and sensitive skin, so they just need a small amount of cannabis salve to feel its beneficial effects.
Cannabis salve is not a universal cure for your pain, but it can be helpful and efficient to use. Making your cannabis salve at home is not recommended, so make sure to do some research before trying to make your salve. Cannabis salve is not a lifetime cure for your skin conditions, but you can consider it as it makes your pain more bearable.