The most common way of enjoying a joint or blunt of cannabis is through smoking. It’s the easiest, most convenient, and most effective way to savor the satisfying effect of the bud. However, the fact of having a sore throat from smoking weed makes some users think twice.
Cannabis is a truly popular herb that brings delight and relief to cannabis lovers. Its main properties known as THC and CBD are the main reasons why it’s extremely sedating and comforting. THC is responsible for the psychoactive effects of weeds while CBD is for the treatment of various illnesses.
With too much indulgence in the herb’s powers, stoners sometimes cannot avoid experiencing side effects. There can be a lot of reasons for that and sore throat is one of the most common of them. Other side effects that over-indulgence with smoking cannabis are dry mouth, bloodshot eyes, dizziness, and nausea.
Why Smokers Experience Sore Throat When Smoking Weed
Apart from over-indulging with the drug, cannabis has other effects on the body that might be causing the unwanted sore throat. It’s truly surprising that after all the many delightful effects that cannabis brings to users, there are also some side effects. It becomes less exciting and less enjoyable for some users so learning why it happens every time they smoke weed is helpful.
Many factors affect your throat’s reaction to the drug whenever you smoke weed. Some of them are the following:
- Inhaling the fresh hot smoke – this is the initial and actual way of getting the high brought about by the smoked cannabis. The nasal passages as well as the throat itself get inside your body. Heat may be enough already to cause dryness in the throat, but it’s not all that there is. Other irritants are present in your weed which include the toxins, terpenes, and cannabinoids. They also irritate the throat and lead to other conditions, too.
- It prevents the body’s production of saliva – you might think that it’s normal for your body to produce more saliva to ease the dryness. But, unfortunately, it’s the other way around due to the other substances that are present in weeds such as THC and CBD. The dryness of your throat is also accompanied by a lot of coughs which is not pleasant.
How to Avoid Sore Throat from Smoking Weed
For expert smokers, it is unavoidable to experience dryness of the throat when smoking cannabis. But that shouldn’t hinder you nor cause you to frown out of the idea. You can try enjoying alternative ways to savor the weed strain you always loved without suffering from the infamous sore throat feeling. The methods listed below help relieve some very common illnesses, too.
- Drink lots of fluid. As in normal days when you’ve never tried weeds, yet, water is still a hydrating element that helps to avoid sore throat. Some cold or hot water can quench your thirst and the dryness of your throat will instantly go away, too. Flushing away the toxins are also possible.
- Conduct steam directly to your nose. It is one effective way of letting your nasal cavity and throat to become moist. Boil some water and inhale the vapor from the steam. Others also try taking a hot bath or even humidifiers that are more common nowadays.
- Gargle some saltwater. It may be old and traditional but it’s still definitely very effective, too. Your sore throat will go away with this old-age style of remedy. Saltwater can flush away those irritants to ease you from your inflammation. Do this at least twice or thrice a day to feel better.
- Eat noodle soup of any flavor. It would be hard to eat solid food if you have a sore throat. Thus, noodles and other soft food may help to ease you from your starvation. Instead of trying to chew hard foods, try eating a banana, yogurt, mashed potatoes, or applesauce which will not hurt your inflamed throat.
- Try taking lozenges for the throat. Cough drops often help with a sore throat, too. They are available in different flavors and are very affordable. Taking at least one of them can help lessen the pain that you are feeling.
Alternatives to Smoking Weed
Instead of trying your hardest to smoke and get a sore throat, why not try these effective alternatives to still enjoy a burning bud? They are also as enjoyable and pleasant as in smoking some dry buds in a joint or blunt.
- Edibles – Cannabis edibles are now available and can be consumed most delightfully without those side effects. Cannabutter is the number one added ingredient to every recipe you have that will still have an impact like that of smoking weeds. Make brownies, gummies, tea, and coffee with cannabis extract and enjoy the high as well.
- Vaping or electronic smoking is a famous method of consuming weeds, too. Proof of this is the huge increase in the sales of vape products in the market nowadays. Studies show that vaping is a lot safer to do than actual smoking. It is also cleaner because you don’t have to touch your lips on the burning buds inside to smoke some. Fewer toxins and carcinogens can come to your body if you do vaporization or also known as vaping.
Aside from less irritation, vaping cannabis also have the following benefits:
- Healthier way
- Stronger high effect
- Ready to consume anytime anywhere without the need to roll some buds
- Patches and Topicals like ointments, creams, as well as patches for the skin. These products penetrate through the skin and produce the same impact as in smoking weeds. Medicinally, they also help with physical pains.
- May be used within the day
- Can be applied easily
- Relieves pain
Sore throat is truly an unpleasant experience for any smoker, especially to those regular smokers. Some users might suffer from such conditions but they just have to go through it to continue savoring weed’s high. Thus, learning about how to treat sore throat from smoking weed is very essential as a cannabis lover. Keep these tips in mind and never be afraid of indulging in cannabis again.